New Zealand flax
Phormium tenax is an evergreen perennial plant native to New Zealand.
- Situation: Full or part sun, most soils
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Grows to: 2m x 1.5m
Here are five reasons to plant Phormium tenax:
- Very hardy – will tolerate most conditions except full shade. Tremendously effective in exposed coastal conditions.
- Impact – the vigorous clump-forming nature of the Phormium tenax creates an excellent focal point quick time.
- Coastal – you live on the coast, nothing seems to work – this will.
- Low maintenance – once established Phormium tenax requries very little care, just a tidy up of old growth a couple of times a year. Additional watering or feeding will be unnecessary unless potted. Phormium tenax is happy in most soils too.
- Themed – its appearance lends itself to palm trees, Australisian planting schemes, dry gardens and even Mediterranean planting schemes.