An absolute favourite, this early spring-flowering Camellia adds much needed colour to the garden as winter passes. A super hardy and reliable evergreen shrub that yields all year round interest with its dark green glossy foliage.
- Situation: Part sun to shade, moist soils
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Grows to: 6m x 4m
A few tips to looking after Camellia japonica:
- Keep well watered in dry periods throughout spring to prevent buds dropping.
- Camellia does benefit from an annual top dress of manure or well-rotted leaf mould.
- Prune lightly to maintain a good shape after flowering.
- If planting in a pot use well draining but rich compost.
- Camellia really does like acid soils, if your soil is limey look to mix in healthy amount of organic matter or ericaceous compost.